Sunday, October 16, 2005

Games Three and Four

A two for one here as I finally sit down to let my thoughts land upon the page.


Game of inches is the running theme here. So cliche but so true. Two Astro wins in Houston. Same as last year. The difference is that they took game two in St. Louis where they lost last year. So now it comes down to can they sweep the three games in Houston just as last year or do they once again go back to St. Louis just needing one of two. A daunting task no matter how the injuries are plaguing this Cardinal team.

Game Three I sat down and watched every pitch. Made the time for it. The moment that sticks out to me of it all was the ball hit to Lamb that he had to dive for and guess on where the hop would be since the runner on first was sheilding him from a clear view. That ball bounced off his glove into shallow center field where Biggio chased it down. I thought there could be today's inch. I really did. I went back to my thinking that the Astros need 5 runs to win. Five runs a game. Not sure why I am stuck on that number but I am. I guess subconciously its one run more than a grand slam. Would seem fitting for someone like Pujols to hit one in this series. He is just that good.

Speaking of Albert Pujols the stat where he has come to bat more than half of the time to lead off the inning is huge. The Cardinals are missing having their biggest RBI guy batting more than half of the time with any chance of driving in more than himself. I think this has given the Astro pitchers that slight bit of confidence in pitching to him. Just slightly cause who would have much confidence pitching to Pujols.

You have to be confident when Lidge comes up against the Cardinals these days, don't you? I mean look how the announcers keep talking about his scoreless innings pitched streak. Every time they do I cringe like they are just about to jinx the kicker like they always seem to do in football. Being up 4-2 in the ninth of game three I kept thinking I would have liked to have that fifth run. When the Cardinals put their third run I was indeed nervous. I am from the camp that firmly believes its not over till its over. Luckily Lidge did what he does so well and saved the game and the Astros now were up 2-1 in the series.

Now to game four. The first game of this NLCS that I did not permit myself to watch. I had to get some work done. Sometimes life does take priority over sport. So as I worked I had the game up on MLB.com. Checking back to it periodically. 0-0 through 3. 1-1 after 4. Both teams pitching out of some jams. Now the 7th and LaRussa gets ejected and the Astros plate a second run. I am happy for the run but nervous cause it is so close. Gallo, Qualls and Wheeler pitch the Astros into the 9th and the score is still 2-1. Lidge time again. I kept thinking one run maybe not enough cause the Cardinals know they got to him for one run last night. He has to be just that little bit better. Just a little.

Suddenly its first and third with no outs and I am trying to work as if I keep doing so I will earn some little bit of karma or something. Eyes to matching up orders, back to the computer screen, back to orders, back to computer. My leg even starts a nervous shaking. Ahh the joys of being a fan. Then on the screen with Sanders hitting it says ball in play, out(s) recorded. It seemed like it stayed that way for so long. Did Pujols get home? Did they possibly get him out or keep him held at third? Oh I can't take it!!

Finally it says Pujols out at home, by inches and its still first and third but now one out. Larry Walker on third, Reggie Sanders on first and John Mabry up to bat. I kept thinking double play, double play, double play. I probably was chanting it. Luckily I was the only one at work. Again the ball in play, out(s) recorded shows up on the screen after a called strike and a swinging strike. No more looking at work. Eyes fixed upon the screen and hands clinched.

DOUBLE PLAY!

Game over. WOW!

Yes I must admit I did a happy dance. Once again no one around to see luckily. Something about not actually watching the game had me even more keyed up. I am not sure why. I guess watching my beloved Buffalo Bills loose 4 Superbowls gives me more pause when I watch my teams. However get me just checking the scores online or via radio and I am much more a wreck. Odd indeed.

I calmed down after a short bit. I did not want to over celebrate. After all its just a 3-1 series lead. Its not over till its over. The Astros have won three straight, so who is to say the Cardinals cannot repeat the favor. Also the Astros were just one win away last season being up 3-2. Something about having that one more game, that one more chance makes me feel more hopefull and gets me excited. We'll see won't we.

And we will see if Mama Clemens talk about the White Sox on her last day on earth will be prophetic or not. Just don't tell me who she saw winning.. I don't want to know. It would take all the craziness of being a fan and right now I am quite enjoying it.

See you boys Monday. Good Luck and Go ASTROS!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home