Thursday, October 21, 2004

Tip your cap to the Cards

It is said that baseball is a game of inches. The Cardinals tonight just played a few inches better than the Astros. Pujols, Edmonds, Renteria, Rolen and Womack just got that extra couple inches done when they needed it. The Astros not quite. Jim Edmond's catch in the second inning on the fly ball to center by Ausmus was great and the first difference maker. The thing about it is when I saw him running I kept telling the ball "Get Down, Get Down" because I knew that Edmonds would get to it. I expected him to make the catch. Why? It is because that is what Jim Edmonds does. That is why he is great to watch. I just wished I didn't have to watch him make that catch tonight.

The second difference maker was Clemens not going to his breaking pitches a couple of batters earlier. Pujols then Rolen both had seen them and found the ones to hit. This is not a criticism of Roger, just a statement. If you would have said he would be pitching a game seven with a world series birth on the line on the road anytime during this season I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I would take it tomorrow too. This does not change the fact that to win a game seven on the road you have to play almost perfect and have the bounces go your way. Some did tonight some didn't, the Astros just needed a couple more.

The Astros played hard. They played with grit and determination. No doubt they wanted it just as bad as anyone. I dislike that statement oh they wanted it more or we just wanted it more that's why we won. I do not think it is accurate. There has to be a term that defines the desire and how it is effectively focused into positive results. That would be the correct term. Trust me Roger wanted it bad, but just didn't get it focused that over the hump amount on just a couple of pitches.

Congratulations to the Houston Astros. I am a fan now and always. I will always remember this 2004 season. It was full of expectation and the disappointment then that amazing late season push to leapfrog six teams to claim the wildcard spot. Then came the breaking of the playoff threshold. The won in the post season and beat the Braves doing it. They then played the Cardinals tough, very tough and just came up those few inches short.

History will remember the results. This Astro fan will forever remember the effort and emotion.

Thank you guys for all that you gave me and all Astro fans this season. It is and forever will be truly appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home